Thursday, 19 April 2012

Collective thoughts

Evening, 27 degrees. It seems above normal. I google what the average mean should be for April here: 17 degrees.

CFK is live on tv right now (I watch a lot of tv in the evenings) - I take back the lack of support for solar power. As if she read my mind, she just inaugurated a new photovoltaic solar park. CFK is incredibly popular these days. I admit it is a novelty to me that an elected representative is so well respected.

Buenos Aires is full of things that I have now become used to. One is that there are about 20 strikes a week, or 2-3 a day. Fences are permanently 'stored' outside the Casa Rosada (the local version of the White House) for managing the traffic and people in demonstrations. Today, the subway workers shut the subway down from 7 until 11 tonight. Yesterday they opened the gates for free passage from 5-7pm at a few stations. Last week, all the collectivo (bus) drivers of one particular bus line (number 60) were out for 5 days.

Another type of collective action is that many dogs are collectively walked in the morning. I have seen people before walk multiple dogs, but the scale of this is quite a sight, especially when it is all at the same time. Every 2 or 3 blocks in my neighbourhood, there is a tree or fence around which about a dozen dogs are leashed by about 8am. They all are very patiently waiting for the dog-herder. One dog-herder that I saw this morning essentially takes to the street, because the whole gang takes up so much room. It is a slow, panting, fluffy wave that ruffles through, side-by-side moving vehicles, tails up and tongues out.

What else. Salad dressing seems to be an unknown item here. In the very basic grocery store I go to, there are 10 different kinds of mayonnaise, but no dressing in sight. Today I bought a salad in a self-serve type place, in an upscale, Canary Wharf-type area. No dressing in sight. I make a motion to indicate if they have anything to put on top of it. The woman offers small packages of lemon juice, vinegar, and corn oil. Good thing I didn't say 'Italian', though I almost did.






No comments:

Post a Comment